It is difficult to come up with a simple definition of academic writing because this notion entails a variety of paper kinds that should be written according to specific requirements. Besides, it may be complicated to understand what is academic writing because it may be used in numerous realms. In the article below, you will find an academic paper definition, its main features, as well as illustrations and explanations of how it should be properly written.
Academic Writing Definition
Imagine a situation that a person who has just got interested in sports starts a conversation with an avid sports fan. As a rule, a newbie to sports will not ask the right type of questions and the sports talk will not be successful with a sports fan. From my own experience, the most frequent questions recorded concerned some personal matters (i.e. parenting style of a sportsman, looks, clothing style, accounting, finance, etc.). The sports fan would expect the talk about the game, the skills, scores, winners, losers, contracts, etc. This is a perfect example that when you want to join some kind of a conversation, you should be well versed in specific terms that will help you initiate the talk. To be an interesting and active participant in the communication process, you should know the discourse and get used to the language and style of a particular company or a community. Just agree: your conversational style in the family differs from that among your friends or colleagues. The same goes for academic writing: you need to learn specific terms, style, and usage of certain words to succeed.
When you are enrolled into a college or university, you are accepted into a specific academic community that is renowned for its particular way of thinking, writing, speaking, and valuing things. As such, as you tend to join different conversations with numerous people who are also a part of this academic community, you will gradually develop your capabilities to think, write, and speak in the corresponding discourse. However, even at the very beginning, when you have just been accepted into the academic community, you need to have the basic set of key terms, values, rules, methods, and conventions that will allow you to communicate effectively. Apart from learning some new information about the academic discourse before trying to master academic style writing, you will most probably derive benefits from acquiring specific strategies that are used by successful students when they intend to efficiently join the academic conversation or master academic writing styles.
You must probably know that to adhere to the proper academic style, it is important to follow the main rules of grammar and punctuation, format, and overall paper organization. However, apart from all these basic things, you also need to use proper vocabulary that will help you successfully communicate the message. Language, particularly its forms, manners, and vocabulary, is what really matters.
Tips on Writing
Main Characteristics of Writing for Academic Purposes
Now that you have defined what writing for academic purposes is, you can move on to learning other things about its characteristics:
- Planning. Actually, writing demands rigorous planning before you start writing a composition. Only when you provide a detailed plan and can see a clear picture of all the ideas under discussion will you ensure that the paper will be analytical and properly structured.
- Devising an outline. An extended outline is a must for successful writing. While some students may regard it as a waste of time, outlining the paper helps organize thoughts logically and coherently.
- The tone of the paper. Academic papers require a formal or semi-formal tone of writing. You are not allowed to use abbreviations, phrasal verbs, idioms, slang, jargon, clichés, etc.
- Language. You need to express your thought clearly and distinctly. So, the words should be chosen really thoroughly. You need to make sure that each word you use is acceptable for an academic way of writing. Therefore, it is advisable to consult a thesaurus, collocations dictionary, and other handbooks.
- Expressing viewpoint. Whenever you need to express a specific viewpoint, it should be done in the third person unless it is an opinion essay or you are given the assignment to provide a paper in the first person.
- Approach. An analytical approach for academic essay writing is strongly encouraged. There should be sufficient argumentation and logical support when you discuss something. Besides, deductive reasoning should be applied as your target readers have to know how you have arrived at specific conclusions.
- Paper formatting. Carefully follow the formatting style required by your school or choose the preferred formatting style indicated in the task description.
How it works
Step 1Visit our website and go to the order form
Step 2Fill in specific essay details in your order description section
Step 3Pay for your custom essay and get your order verified
Step 4Process of writing your academic assignment
Step 5Editing and anti-plagiarism check
Step 6On-time delivery of an already written essay
As you sit down to write your academic essay, make sure to answer the following questions:
- What do I already know about the topic I am going to write about?
- Can I answer the questions what, who, why, where, when, and how?
- Is my topic a part of some larger classification?
- What is known to me about this genre of writing?
- What cultural and historical influences are important for a successful reflection on my topic?
- What information is familiar to me in the context of the chosen topic?
- If I had to provide a summary of what I already know about the topic, what aspects would I include?
- What seems to draw less of my attention?
- What made me think so?
- How can my knowledge about the topic help me better explain it to my target audience?
- What information needs to be obtained?
- How can I derive that additional information?
How to Avoid Frequently Occurring Mistakes
Regardless of the research field in which you need to provide your academic essay, you will face some common challenges in the writing process.
To help you avoid common mistakes in the future, we have created a list of the most frequent mistakes.
- Wordiness. Actually, your main goal is not to express your ideas in the most sophisticated manner possible but to communicate the main message coherently and concisely.
- A weak or missing thesis statement. Make sure that you provide a strong and understandable thesis statement (which should actually be a statement – not some kind of question whatsoever). Besides, it is recommendable to make the thesis argumentative.
- Informal language. According to the standards of academic paper writing, the tone should be formal. As such, you need to avoid slang, idioms, clichés, phrasal verbs, and so on.
- Description or arguments without analysis and supporting evidence. Whenever you put forward a claim, it should be supported with strong evidence and clear examples. In other words, argumentation should be clear.
- Uncited sources. Whenever you provide information taken from outside sources, you need to cite it. When citing, make sure you consistently follow one of the citation styles.
How to Format Your Paper
Start with an introduction. It is the very first paragraph of your composition, which should actually fulfill two main aims: hook the attention of your target audience and express the central message that you intend to convey further throughout the body paragraphs. How can you draw the attention of your readers? Actually, you can provide an opening paragraph beginning with some controversial questions on the topic. Second, you can indicate some interesting or surprising statistics, figures, or facts that will not leave your readers indifferent. Third, you might want to define some term that seems interesting and catchy for a reader. Another option, especially when you are writing a literature paper, is to provide an opener with some quotes from the book or story.
After the introduction, switch over to organizing the body paragraphs. Actually, this is the bulk of the paper and its most important part. First of all, the paragraphs should be logically structured: you should provide clear transitions. Second, the information discussed in the body paragraphs should be directly related to the thesis statement. Third, the ideas, topics, or notions that you cover should be provided chronologically.
In the conclusive paragraph, you must succinctly summarize the main findings or core aspects of the discussion in the paper. Remind the reader of the most important points but do not introduce any new ideas into the conclusive paragraph.
Overall, that is all you need to know about the structure of academic papers. Follow the guidelines above and improve your skills in practice.
Academic Writing Help
Every student who wants to become a distinguished professional and make a smooth and fast career must be prepared to become a perfect custom essay writer. College essay writing is an indispensable element of every student’s experiences, and every student is expected to engage in academic custom essay writing more than once. Of course, for many students, writing even a single custom essay can be a problem, due to the absence of comprehensive academic writing skills. Not surprisingly, every second student who is facing a difficult academic writing task dreams of getting quality and cheap online help with essay writing. You can find dozens of websites offering various kinds of essay paper writing services at the most affordable price. However, you cannot always be sure that you get what you want. EssaysCreator.com is believed to be one of the most reliable and qualified academic paper services online, with a huge army of returning clients, who have already benefited from their productive cooperation with the company.
Professional Academic Writers
When a student says, “I need to buy a custom writing paper urgently and for cheap”, EssaysCreator.com will always be here to help. EssaysCreator.com is the best essay writing service in the sense that it is committed to quality and always provides students with outstanding writing help at the most reasonable cost. We can deal with academic custom essay writing tasks of any kind and any urgency, and we always have something to keep your instructors fascinated and prove that you have enough knowledge and skills to move ahead in your studies. Whenever we produce custom essays for you, we develop a fully original and logical paper full of smart and creative ideas ready to impress your teacher.
While working on academic papers for you, we are focused on delivering a high-quality product, based on relevant data and professional research. We understand that academic custom essay writing is difficult, but our professional academic writers can investigate even the most complicated topic. Most of our time is devoted to creating authentic thesis papers. We do everything possible and impossible to produce a comprehensive, cohesive, and informative piece of writing. If you have difficulty writing academic reviews or reports, our essay writing service will be here to help!
Always Online Academic Help
If you are looking for qualified essay paper help, then you should use the benefits of EssaysCreator, a professional writing service that operates 24/7. If you have difficulties with producing a quality custom essay and need someone to assist you in your writing tasks, our affordable and reliable writers will be happy to do it!
- FREE revision (within 2 days)
- FREE title page
- FREE bibliography
- FREE outline (on request)
- FREE e-mail delivery
- FREE formating
- Quality research and writing
- 24/7/365 Live support
- MA, BA, and PhD degree writers
- 100% Confidentiality
- No hidden charges
- Never resold works
- 100% Authenticity
- 12 pt. Times New Roman
- Double-spaced/Single-spaced papers
- MA, BA, and PhD degree writers
- 1 inch margins
- Any citation style
- Up-to-date sources only
- Fully referenced papers